Monday, November 4, 2019

Configure a PeopleSoft instance to point to an ODA Channel/Skill

This post will cover the PeopleSoft configuration required to enable a delivered Chatbot and point to the ODA Channel/Skill.

PeopleBook References:
Creating Bot Definitions
Adding Chatbot to Application pages

PeopleBooks is self explanatory. Here are a few additional items that I found useful.

Configuring the Application Service

As delivered, both the service operations (PTCB_APPL_SVC_GET.v1 and PTCB_APPL_SVC_POST.v1) associated with the delivered REST - Chatbot Application Service - PTCB_APPL_SVC use 'Basic Authentication and SSL' as the 'Req Verification' option.

For example:


In my case, because I am using a HCM 9.2 - PI 31 instance running on OCI (created by PeopleSoft Cloud Manager) as a demo/proof of concept, I did not setup SSL. To workaround the SSL issues, I set the 'Req Verification' property to 'Basic Authentication' for both service operations.

Security to access the Bot Definition

While testing, I found that when I opened my 'Absence Assistant' chatbot, it would open the modal window but it would keep spinning endlessly without loading anything. I did not find any errors on the Browser Console either.


Note: The Chatbot window spinning could happen due to several reasons.

In this case, the issue was that the current PeopleSoft user did not have access to the Bot definition. We can provide this by adding the following Role that we used to setup the Bot definition.


Testing the Chatbot

I learnt that using the delivered JPATTERSON userid in HCM 9.2 - PI 31 was very handy because the user already had the necessary absence information setup!

9 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the informative posts, Sasank!

    Sorry for posting an off-topic question - wondering if you'd be able to guide me in the right direction.

    Some non-prod environments for the same delivered page are missing the "name" attribute while doing an "Inspect Element" from Chrome.

    img src="/cs/server/cache/PT_PROMPT_LOOKUP_1.gif" alt="Look up Field (Alt+5)" title="Look up Field (Alt+5)" name="TABLE_FIELD$prompt$img" border="0" align="absmiddle"

    This is when doing an "Inspect Element" on the "prompt" magnifying glass in a page. Some environments have this attribute populated, while the others don't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting behavior. Is this happening on all elements? Or only certain elements on the page?

      You might want to create a support ticket with Oracle to get an explanation.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Sasank! Looks like this behaviour is caused by a setting at the Web Profile level.

      It is the "Generate HTML for Testing" checkbox under the "Debugging" tab from "Main Menu > PeopleTools > Web Profile > Web Profile Configuration".

      Thanks a lot for your informative posts, as usual!

      Delete
    3. That is great.

      Can you please a few things for my understanding?

      1. Does this occur on all page fields or only certain fields?
      2. In your non-prod environments, was the 'Generate HTML for Testing' enabled or disabled?

      Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Hi Sasank - not sure if the earlier response came through.

    1. Occurs in all page fields
    2. Generate HTML for Testing was enabled in the non-prod environments.

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sasank,

    I believe this works with PCIF which is available since 8.57 onwards.
    do you have any blog or can you guide me on how I can make my ODA understand the logged in user context and call the PS Back end service to deliver the intent. My chat client is internal peoplesoft application UI page.
    for e.g.
    When user requests for leave balance, chat client can understand the user intent and invokes the custom component. How the custom component delegates the user principle to peoplesoft webserivices to ensure respective authorization policies are enforced, in this case PS should return the leave balance of logged in user.

    Can you guide me please.
    Thanks,
    Hari

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, I don't have access to an environment where I have ODA integrated.

      I will let you know if I find any information that might be useful. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. Hi Sasank,

    I believe this works with PCIF which is available since 8.57 onwards.
    do you have any blog or can you guide me on how I can make my ODA understand the logged in user context and call the PS Back end service to deliver the intent. My chat client is internal peoplesoft application UI page.
    for e.g.
    When user requests for leave balance, chat client can understand the user intent and invokes the custom component. How the custom component delegates the user principle to peoplesoft webserivices to ensure respective authorization policies are enforced, in this case PS should return the leave balance of logged in user.

    Thanks,
    hari

    ReplyDelete